Monday, February 13, 2012

Monday Music

If you hate Mondays, here's some music to take you away. I'll start with two bands you should know. The first is South Yorkshire, UK outfit Exit Calm. They've been compared to A Storm in Heaven-era Verve, but I think their sound is heavier and more evocative, not only because of the vastness of the multi-layered, effect-laden guitars, but also because of the raw, ragged vocals.




That guitar that swirls, builds, and explodes from 2:00 - 2:28 gives me goosebumps. I also recommend checking out "We're On Our Own".

Next is London- based SULK. They have a sound that is reminiscent of late-80s britpop bands such as The Stone Roses, Ride, Suede, The Charlatans, etc. You know, great bands that had swagger and talent.




The opening of that song always blows me away. This band should be huge.

Finally, two bands I will be seeing in May, in London, England. Madchester veterans Inspiral Carpets and Happy Mondays.




Don't you just love that Farfisa?




I'm as giddy as a schoolboy to see these two bands. I just hope Ryder and company are sober enough to put on a good show. The last time I saw them was in 1990 at The Diamond in Toronto. They took the stage late, in front of an angry, drunken crowd, and Ryder was so wasted, he could hardly remember the words to the songs; the words he did remember were slurred. He also stumbled all over the stage. At one point, he fell into a stack of speakers and almost knocked them, and himself, over and off the stage. Good times, I guess

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.